Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

A removal order may be issued to a permanent resident or foreign national who is in Canada and is found to be inadmissible. If you are in this situation and wish to return to Canada, you may first need to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC). This will depend on the type of removal order:


      • Departure Order: if you left Canada within 30 days and confirmed your departure with CBSA (having obtained a Certificate of Departure) you do not need an ARC.
      • Exclusion Order: if you wish to return to Canada before the passage of 1 year (or 5 years in the case of misrepresentation, you need an ARC.
      • Deportation order: this is a permanent bar, so if you wish to return to Canada at any point, you need an ARC.

If the government of Canada paid for your removal, you will also be expected to repay that amount. When deciding if to grant an ARC, the Officer will assess the reasons you were issued a removal order in the first place and if circumstances have changed. Furthermore, you must have a valid reason for wanting to enter Canada. You can submit this application even without immediate plans to return to Canada, however, typically you submit an ARC at the time you apply, with all supporting documents. With over 25 years of experience, our firm can assist you in submitting a strong application, giving you the best chances of success.