The Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot were established in 2019.  These programs provide a pathway to permanent residence in two categories: one for caring for children under 18, and one for caring for the elderly or adults with special needs. This program allows you to apply for permanent residence immediately if you can prove that you have two years of work experience in the relevant fields inside Canada and meet all other requirements. Alternatively, it allows you to come to Canada on a work permit and build up the experience which will make you eligible to apply for permanent residence after two years. To qualify: 

    • You must have a job offer from an employer in Canada to work full-time 
    • You must meet Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 in English or French 
    • You must have completed 1 year of post-secondary education (which if completed abroad must be deemed equivalent to 1 year in a Canadian institution) 
    • There are no strict requirements in terms of work experience, as long as Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada is convinced that based on your past experience and training, you will be able to carry out the job duties 

This program is quite accessible, and is especially attractive for multiple reasons: 

    • Your work permit is occupation-specific, but not employer-specific, making it easy for you to switch employers while continuing to build work experience 
    • Employers no longer need to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which used to deter potential employers in Canada 
    • You can choose to live in your employer’s home, or your own home 
    • Your spouse and children can live, work, and study in Canada with you 
    • Processing times for permanent residence are short once eligibility is met 

However, there is a cap of only 2,750 principal applicants per category per year. We invite you to consult us to discuss your eligibility and options, timing, and to ensure you are submitting a strong application.