Study Permit

Foreign applicants may apply to study in Canada at designated learning institutions (DLIs). For studies which have a duration of more than 6 months, a study permit is required. To apply, you must have received an acceptance letter from a DLI, show that you have sufficient funds to sustain yourself in Canada, and explain why you wish to temporarily study in Canada in your program of choice. If the acceptance letter you receive is conditional on completing prerequisite courses such as English as a Second Language (ESL) before being accepted, you may still obtain an initial study permit to cover the duration of those courses, plus one year. You may then extend the permit once you are enrolled in your program. For your study permit to remain valid, you must actively pursue your studies in Canada; if not, you will lose status 90 days after you stop attending the DLI. While on a study permit, you may work part-time during the school session and full-time during scheduled breaks, and you may travel in and out of Canada. After you finish studying, you may be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit.

The processing times for a study permit vary greatly depending on the country you are applying from, so it is important to be aware of your timeline to ensure you can travel to Canada in time for the start of your program. Those applying from China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal or Vietnam may be eligible for faster processing times through the Student Direct Stream. Applications for study permits can be challenging and applicants are often shocked to receive a refusal. To avoid delays in your educational goals, you should work with a professional to ensure the best chance of success on your application.