Temporary Residence Permit

A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) may be issued to individuals who wish to enter or remain in Canada but are inadmissible (for instance, medically, criminally, or for misrepresentation).  People who are determined to be inadmissible to Canada are generally not able to enter the country.  A TRP is a temporary solution for inadmissible applicants who have a compelling reason to come to Canada. An officer will have to determine that the reason for the visit or stay is valid, while considering the health and security of Canadians. The onus is on the applicant to show that they will not pose a risk or be a burden on Canada. Once obtained, a TRP may be extended within Canada, and individuals granted a TRP valid for at least 6 months may apply for a work permit or study permit.  After 5 consecutive years in Canada on a TRP, an applicant may be able to apply for permanent residence. It should be noted, however, that certain individuals are barred from applying for a TRP. Our expert lawyers can guide you through the complexities of these cases and advise you on your options.