Temporary Residence (Visitor) Visa

Citizens of several countries need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to travel to Canada. Travellers from countries which are visa-exempt require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). If you have been approved to study or work in Canada, an eTA (online) or TRV (inside your passport) will automatically be issued to you. If you require a TRV, you must submit your application before travelling. Apart from basic documents, you must be able to provide the following:

    • A letter of intent explaining the reason for your visit and your itinerary
    • A letter of invitation from the person or institution you are visiting, if applicable
    • Proof of sufficient funds to support you during your trip
    • Proof of ties to your home country and other evidence that your visit is temporary 

Processing times vary from country to country, so if you are entering Canada to attend an event, such as a wedding, it is important to apply well ahead of time. In many cases, obtaining a TRV can be challenging, even with a well-prepared application. In case of a refusal, you can simply apply again addressing the reasons for refusal with the right documentation but it’s obviously better to get it right the first time.  It is recommended that you seek the help of a professional when applying for a TRV, as it becomes increasingly difficult to be approved once there is a refusal on your file. If you are determined inadmissible to Canada (for instance, medically, criminally, or for misrepresentation), you may be able to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit to temporarily overcome your inadmissibility. A special kind of TRV known as a “Super Visa” can be issued to parents or grandparents of Canadians which allows them to remain in Canada for up to two years at a time. We encourage you to contact us to discuss your case and let us help you improve your chances of success.